Does your ankle hurt every time you move it? Do you experience any discomfort? If yes, then it could stem from numerous reasons like any past injury, sprain, or any other medical conditions such as arthritis. However, the degree of pain may vary from sharp to dull ache, depending on the cause.
Apart from such minor conditions, some other reasons are also responsible for pain and discomfort in the ankles. Let’s understand these reasons at a deeper level:
Ankle fracture may lead to breaking of one or more bones where you encounter some common symptoms like:
- Pain radiating in the lower legs
- Difficulty walking or moving the broken foot
The doctor may suggest surgery, depending on the severity of the fracture. If the fracture is not severe, then a standard plaster and medications will solve the purpose.
Soft tissue damage in the ankles can cause ankle strain that leads to pain and discomfort. Moreover, stretching and tearing of ligaments can also cause ankle strain. However, this issue is common in many people as this particular area endures daily movement. Here are the symptoms of ankle strain:
- Popping or snapping sound
- Tenderness in the ankle area
- Instability in ankle joints while walking or moving
People who are involved in sports or any other physical activity have these issues.
Build up of uric acid crystals in the body leads to gout, which is another form of arthritis that affects the foot and ankle area. Moreover, people’s family history also contributes to this condition.
Apart from this, several other conditions can cause gout, including diabetes, obesity, and high blood pressure. Regular intake of certain medicines can also increase the risk of gout. Here are some common symptoms of gout:
- Severe pain
- Deformity or redness in the affected area
Any cracks, cuts, trauma, bruises, ulcers, or blisters can cause infection. The bacteria enter your skin or joint area from these cuts, which may land you in severe pain later on. A doctor may prescribe an oral medicine or suggest surgery depending on the condition of the wound. You should ensure that the wound doesn’t get worse; otherwise, you may have to undergo surgery.
Here are the symptoms for infection:
- Warmth in the affected area
Treatment for Ankle Pain
These are some reasons that can cause pain in the ankles. When the injury limits you to move, then you should seek emergency care if they suspect a significant issue like a broken bone. However, if you experience mild pain, then you can rely on home remedies to cure it. Here are some home remedies that you can try to reduce swelling and pain around the ankles:
- Apply ice covered in a piece of cloth on the affected area to minimize swelling.
- Apply a compressive brace or cover your ankle with a cloth to reduce pain and further risk of damage.
- Use pillows to elevate the ankle so that the blood can flow easily towards the heart.
- Try changing your footwear and use shoes that relieve pressure and support your ankles.
- Use oils and balms to massage your ankles. You can try out premium hemp seed infused soothing balm from Bael Wellness. It is manufactured in the USA in FDA registered facility. Made from the sun-dried Hemp grown in the USA, it reduces stiffness and alleviate pain from the affected area.