The longest and thickest nerve in the body, the sciatica nerve, runs through the hips and branches out in each leg. Sciatica is used to describe the condition of severe discomfort, pain, and numbness in the lower back radiating down the legs. Here is what causes it and how to treat it.
Does It Occur In Both The Legs?
Although the nerve is present in both legs, but sciatica usually occurs in only one leg. It rarely affects both sides though it is possible. It simply depends upon the point where the nerve is pinched.
Several conditions cause sciatica-like:
- Herniated Disk
According to research, 1% to 5% of people would suffer from a herniated disk once in a lifetime. When the first layer of the cushioning pads between your vertebrae gets ripped, it presses the sciatica nerve and leads to severe pain.
- Spinal Stenosis
In this condition, the lower spinal canal starts contracting, which compresses the nerves and causes pain.
When a vertebra slips out of its place over the other, it pinches the sciatica nerve, leading to pain.
An injury or tumor also triggers sciatica nerve pain.
- Piriformis Syndrome
The piriformis muscle, connecting the lower spine to the thigh bones when tightens, pressurizes the sciatica nerve and causes pain.
Some of the common risk factors that leave you susceptible to Sciatica are:
- Having diabetes increases the risk of nerve damage.
- With age, tissues and spinal disks start wearing off.
- Smoking damages tissues, weakens bones, and escalates
- The more the weight, the higher the risk of back issues.
- Sitting for prolonged periods and lifting heavy objects pressurizes the back.
- Poor posture also leads to Sciatica.
How Does It Harm Our Lifestyle?
Sciatica extremely affects the quality of life. It interferes with every activity you do and leads to long-term pain. Moreover, it weakens the leg muscles, reducing the ability even to stand or move a step.
How To Cure It?
There are multiple ways to cure Sciatica, but here are some natural remedies to treat your pain and keep it at bay.
- Apply a heat or cold pack several times a day.
- Perform gentle lower back stretching exercises.
- Follow a proper exercise routine once the pain decreases.
- Massage and acupuncture also help in relieving pain.
Whether at work or home, most of our time is spent while sitting. Supporting your back with our Bael Wellness Sciatica, Coccyx & Tailbone Support Seat Cushion on your seat is a simple solution to get rid of sciatica and back related problems. It is a quick fix to alleviate sciatica pain, reduce its chances in the future, and improve posture.