Back pain has become one of the most common disorder today. With a rise in sedentary jobs, back and lower back pain have become widespread. However, there could be many other reasons attributing to back pain such as injury, medical conditions or age.
As we grow old, the chance of developing lower back pain increases. Factors such as previous occupation and degenerative disk disease are responsible for lower back pain in old age.
The human back is composed of a complex structure of muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks, and bones and it can be to a myriad of things in the bony such as lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, lower back muscles, abdominal and pelvic internal organs.
Causes of lower back pain
Lower back pain can be caused due to various reasons such as strain, structural problems, postures and others.
Strain could be caused by
- Strained muscles or ligaments
- A muscle spasm and muscle tension
- Damaged disks
- Injuries such as fractures
Activities that can lead to strain are
- Lifting something improperly or something which is too heavy
- An abrupt and awkward bodily movement
There are a number of structural problems that lead to lower back pain, they are:
- Ruptured disks: Each vertebra in the spine is cushioned by disks and in case the disk ruptures the pressure in the nerve would increase, which will result in back pain.
- Bulging disks: A bulging disk can have the same effect i.e. increase in the pressure on the nerve.
- Sciatica: Sciatica is a shooting pain that travels through the buttocks to the back of the legs. It is caused by a bulging disk pressing on a nerve.
- Abnormal curvature of the spine: Lower back pain can also be caused due to unusual curve in the spine.
- Osteoporosis: It is a condition where bones of the spine become brittle and porous, making compression fractures more likely to occur.
- Kidney problems: Even kidney problems can cause back pain.
Movement & Postures
Bad postures are a major reason for back as well as lower back pains. With more sedentary jobs than ever, today postures and sitting habits are one of the main causes of back pain.
- Bending awkwardly
- Standing or sitting for long periods
- Straining the neck forward while driving or using a computer
- Long driving sessions
- Sleeping on a wrong mattress
Back pain can be diagnosed by a doctor through a routine physical examination or by simply asking questions. A step ahead could be, getting scans done, such as
- X-rays throw light on alignment of the bones. They can detect signs of arthritis and broken bones.
- MRI and CT scans can reveal herniated disks or problems with tissue, tendons, nerves, ligaments, blood vessels, muscles, and bones.
- Bone scans can detect bone tumors.
There are various treatments for back and lower back pain, and they depend on the severity of the pain. There are stages where invasive treatments are required and there are conditions when medicines and supplements could treat the pain well. Here are 3 amazing treatments from Bael Wellness.
Bael Wellness Back Support Supplement- This back support from Bael Wellness is made from turmeric root extract, capsicum powder, ginger root extract and many more. The 100% Vegan, non-GMO supplement is a natural and holistic back support which do not have any side effects.
Bael Wellness Lumbar Support- Made from high-quality Grade A memory foam, the lumbar support cushion and pillow treats the back naturally. It is made of anti-allergic velor fabric and can be used for office chairs, car seats, airplane chair, dining chairs, wheelchairs and more.
- Bael Wellness Seat Cushion- It is the only cushion approved by American Chiropractic Association. It has a patented design and medically proven cylindrical panel design to complement body shape with slopes. Relieves back pain, sciatica and coccyx pain naturally.