Today, many of us have this common pain issue in our tailbone, a tiny bone located at the bottom of our spine, medically referred to as "coccyx".
The pain can vary from mild to severe, causing discomfort when lying down to sleep. Fortunately, some sleeping positions can help alleviate some of this pain and allow your tailbone to heal faster.
What is Tailbone Pain?
The tailbone is prone to soreness and injuries. Tailbone pain becomes acute during some activities like sitting, prolonged standing, or rising from a seated to a standing position. If it worsens, activities like defecation may become painful.
What are the Best Sleeping Positions?
1. Sleeping on Your Side
Use a thin pillow between your knees. The pillow below your head should be thicker and firmer and take up the distance from your ear to the bed. Keep your neck in a neutral position.
2. Sleeping on Your Back
Put a pillow or foam wedge under your knees, allowing your knees to relax. Make sure that the pillow of your head should be flat enough to keep the natural curve at the back of your neck.
Some Things You Should Take Care Of During Tailbone Pain:
- Try leaning ahead while sitting down.
- Sit on a ring-shaped pillow or V-shaped cushion (wedge).
- Use ice or heat on the affected area.
- Drink some sleep-inducing tea to relax.
- Don't sleep on your stomach ever, as it puts most of your weight on the center of your body, flattens the natural curve of your spine, and strains your neck.
Stretches for Tailbone
1. Child's Pose
- Be in a kneeling position, with knees spread, while sitting back on the heels.
- Keep both hands flat on the floor, slowly slide down your arms and body forward, keeping your head facing down.
- Continue slowly shifting forward to extend the arms fully.
- Try touching the forehead to the floor, if possible.
- Rest in this position for 20-30 seconds.
2. Single Leg-Knee Hug
- Lie down on the back.
- Bend on one knee toward the chest.
- Extend the feet straight out (if tolerable).
- Hold on, and pull it gently down into the chest.
- Hold on for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
3. Figure 4 stretch (piriformis and glute cross leg stretch)
- Lie down on the back with knees bent, feet flat and in line with your hips.
- Form a figure four by bending either of your ankles to opposite knees.
- Loop the hands around the thigh and gently pull it toward the chest for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side.
How is Bael Wellness Sciatica, Coccyx & Tailbone Support Seat Cushion Useful?
Use Bael Wellness Sciatica, Coccyx & Tailbone Support Seat Cushion, made of highly resilient memory foam with a new and improved design for Hernia, Coccyx, and Tailbone support. Its contours and slopes distribute the body weight evenly, alleviating pain, aches, and soreness.
You can use it with a desk chair, office chair, car seat, kitchen, airplane, or wheelchairs due to its anti-sliding and easy handling properties.
Tailbone pain can affect your sleep in many ways. To relieve tailbone pain, you can utilize these best sleeping positions. Also, you can use a coccyx and tailbone support cushion to reduce the risk of prolonged sitting.